Saturday, February 20, 2010

Let’s get physical!

Let me start by saying that I do not hold any Cisco Certifications but I believe that I have the necessary experience in playing around with their devices to make this post.

Cisco networking devices has been the de-facto standard for small business to enterprise networks. It’s one of those devices where all you need to do is set it up for the first time securely, and it will continue to work as long as no one physically or virtually attacks it.

It has been a habit of mine to implement security in layers when building up networks from the ground up. My signature I guess will be a Master Lock, and it comes with a set of four. This is the first line of defense before you can access my rack or server cabinet. I usually rotate the four Master Locks randomly every two weeks, sometimes weekly. The randomness adds salt to the hash, like in cryptography. The cables are usually wrapped and inside EMI and RFI shielded pipes. No loose wires here man, and I make sure the contractors we hire to do our wiring signs a NDA for client infrastructure materials used during the buildup. Oh yes, we do have a couple of shielded walls as well, especially the ones around the server rack itself. This is for emission and transmission security for those nasty sniffers out there, like me.

Traditional CCTVS are all over the place of course. Most of the guys are migrating already to IP-Based CCTV’s but I find it inherently flawed when it comes to security simply because of one factor; it runs on IP.

(To be continued on next post. Need to go the San Francisco, Market Street, Old Navy is on sale, you can’t miss that  )

No comments:

Post a Comment